The smell of summer is ripe in the air once again, and along with it come all its glorious foods. Make sure when the time for menu planning comes at last, you are doubly prepared, this is a combined list four of our favorite summer meals that should get you ready for of for your next outdoor get together: This list includes some pretty easy recipes that take as little as 20 minutes to make for a lovely backyard barbecue.
Spinach-and-Barley Salad with Grilled Pork
Total Time: 0:40 Prep Time: 0:25 Yields: 6 Servings
- 1 c. pearled barley
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 ¼ lb. pork tenderloin
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 2 medium carrots, thinly sliced
- 6 c. baby spinach
- 4 large radishes, thinly sliced
- 3 baby Chioggia (striped), alternatively yellow beets, peeled and thinly sliced
- 3 scallions, sliced
- ½ c. chopped toasted walnuts
- Smoky Paprika Vinaigrette
- Cook the barley in boiling salted water in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until it becomes tender, 24 to 26 minutes. Drain and run under cold water until cool.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high. Rub pork with oil and season with 1 teaspoon each of salt and pepper. Grill covered, turning occasionally until the internal temperature reaches 145°F – around 15 to 18 minutes in. Remove to a plate and allow to rest 5 minutes before slicing.
- Toss together spinach, radishes, beets, scallions, carrots, walnuts, barley, and vinaigrette in a bowl. Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve with sliced pork.
- To make the smoky paprika vinaigrette:
- Whisk ½ cup olive oil, ¼ cup red wine vinegar, 1 ½ tablespoons honey, 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard, and 1 ¼ teaspoons smoked paprika together.
- Season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.
Spicy Grilled Shrimp with Garlic & Lemon
Total Time: 1:15 Prep Time: 0:15 Yields: 8 servings
- 2 tbsp. whole-grain mustard
- 1/4 c. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
- 6 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
- 1 tsp. celery seed
- 2 lb. large easy-peel shrimp
- Kosher salt
- 2 lemons, 1 thinly sliced and 1 halved
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Chopped fresh chives, for serving
- Mix oil, garlic, celery seed, and red pepper flakes in a small saucepan.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until the garlic is golden, sizzling, and fragrant, 2 to 4 minutes. Whisk in mustard and transfer to a bowl; cool it completely.
- Add shrimp and sliced lemon to oil the mixture.
- Season with salt and black pepper; toss to coat. Refrigerate at least 15 minutes or up to 1 hour. Heat grill to medium-high.
- Grill shrimp and lemon slices until the lemons and shrimp are lightly charred: shrimp should be just cooked through, 1 to 3 minutes per side.
- To serve, transfer to a platter, sprinkle with chives, and squeeze lemon halves over top.
Grilled Chicken Sliders
Yields: 6 Sliders Prep Time: 0:20 Grill:10
- 1 pound skinless chicken breasts
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 6 whole wheat cocktail buns, split
- 4 kiwi fruit, peeled and chopped
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh mint
- 12 red apple slices
- 3 tablespoons honey mustard
- Cut chicken breasts into 6 pieces. Season with salt and pepper. Grill for 10 to 12 minutes, otherwise until it’s no longer pink at the center, turning once.
- Mix kiwi, mint, honey, and more salt and pepper.
Spread bottom buns with honey mustard and add 2 apple slices, chicken, kiwi chutney, and bun tops.
Miso-Glazed Chicken Burgers with Cabbage-Apple Slaw
Total Time: 0:30 Prep Time: 0:30 SERVES: 8
- 2 lb. ground white-meat chicken
- 2 stalk celery
- 1 c. whole-wheat breadcrumbs
- 2 tbsp. cider vinegar
- 1 medium onion
- 2 egg whites
- Sea Salt
- 3 tbsp. sesame oil
- ⅓ c. cider vinegar
- Freshly ground pepper
- ½ c. miso paste
- 3 tbsp. brown sugar
- 2 c. shredded cabbage (purple and/or white)
- 8 Sesame buns
- Cooking spray
- 2 crisp, sweet red apples
- In a large bowl, combine the chicken, breadcrumbs, 2/3 cup onion, celery, egg whites, and 2 tablespoons of sesame oil. Season with 2 teaspoons each salt and pepper.
- Shape into 8 equal patties (about 5 1/2 ounces each). Place the patties between squares of waxed paper and refrigerate until chilled – 1 hour, least.
- In a small bowl, combine miso paste, 2 tablespoons brown sugar, and 2 tablespoons cider vinegar. Equally, divide miso glaze into 2 bowls (1 for grilling and other for drizzling on slaw). Set both aside.
- In a large bowl, toss to combine the cabbage, apples, and remaining onion, sesame oil, brown sugar, and cider vinegar. Set aside.
- Heat grill to medium. Grill buns, split side down, until warmed, about 2 minutes.
- Transfer to a platter. Coat grill with cooking spray and grill burgers, about 6 minutes per side.
- Brush burgers with the miso glaze from the first bowl, flip, and grill for 1 ½ more minutes. Repeat for the other side. Place burgers on bottom buns; layer with slaw, a drizzle of miso glaze from the second bowl, and top buns.